Thursday, September 13, 2012

Witch Sign {part 1}

Have you ever seen THIS sign post from Better Homes and Gardens floating around the web? It has been my dream to recreate this for several years now...and I think this is finally going to be the year that it happens!

Last year my dear Halloween friend (she gets mentioned a lot on this blog, doesn't she) taught me how to make fake wood signs out of insulation using the technique found HERE.  So we got that all cut out, etched in, and painted black...but then things got crazy and it didn't get finished.  With Halloween finally coming around again this year, I whipped the sign out and gave it the final gray dry brush layer for the top.


And here she is close up.  I, of course, did a witches inn, because I love witches.


If I could do this over again (which I might if I have way too much time on my hands one of these years) I would make the lettering a lot bigger so that it could be seen better from further away, but this will do for now.  I'll also need to re-do the "established" part so that it is a little darker.  

There are always vacancies at my hotel...mwa-ha-haaa.


There is obviously a lot that still needs to be done.  I need to find some sort of chain to hang these from, for starters.  I also need the actual sign post to hang it from.

I love how on the BHG website tutorial they say to just grab your trusty old sign post as part of the project.  Sorry, I'm fresh out of vintage sign posts.  So I guess I'll have to make my own.

This part ended up being a lot more expensive than I would have liked, but I really wanted the fancy scroll work and stuff, so I grabbed a landing newel from Home Depot to use as the main part of my sign post.


I also grabbed some 50% off iron work and another 2 inch square long "stick" for the cross beam.


It is yet to be seen if I can pull this off the way I imagine it in my head.  But that will have to be a project for another day.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...